How hard should it be to make a small pieced table topper? Much harder than I imagined. Here are some things I have learned so far.
1. That I do not know how to choose appropriate fabrics. The printed diagonal plaid was really hard to make work, especially since the amount of fabric called for in the pattern didn’t allow me enough to chevron the pattern in any way. I had to settle on just keeping the solid color squares from touching each other. Even with some planning I still had a bit of ripping and switching things around. Also I need to pay more attention to value, some of the stripes blend into one another, others stand out too much.
2. I shouldn’t just glance at the pattern and think I know what to do. My squares go in the opposite direction than the way the design is supposed to go. This may have been a good thing, since the red stripes (which stand out too much) give off a swastika vibe, luckily they point in the opposite direction. I didn’t see that possibility at all when choosing this pattern.
3. There must be a better way to sew this pattern than going in a circle. It was really hard to keep the center points matching. I am thinking of breaking the pattern into quarters, then halves, then sewing one long seam across. That should work better.
Now I am going to try quilting this top to the backing. I will use the walking foot and stitch in the ditch. I will also use a straight of grain binding. The binding should be on the bias, but the yellow plaid fabric I chose is printed on the bias. If I cut on the bias, it will look straight of grain. I think the bias plaid will look better, though this topper is so busy that the binding probably won’t even be noticed.
I want to try this pattern again soon. I think it was a good beginning project because it brought up issues I hadn’t considered. I will think as a practice piece, and practice is always useful.